Gainesville, Alabama: The small town of Gainesville is located on Hwy 39 in Sumter County, near the Sumter/Greene County line. The land on which the town of Gainesville now stands was originally owned by John Coleman, husband to a Choctaw Indian of the area.
Livingston, Alabama: Most of Livingston’s early settlers came from North Carolina; others came from South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Virginia. Because water was scarce so they settled by a spring (about two blocks south west of the Courthouse); this is now known as Spring Street.
Cuba, Alabama: The Cuba post office existed prior to 1850, with nothing in the present-day area of the town of Cuba, but wilderness. The first man to live in this site was a Mr. R.A. Clay, who moved from Autauga County, AL, with his family and about 100 slaves in 1852, and purchased all the land which later made up the town of Cuba.
Emelle, Alabama: Emelle was established in 1912 with the completion of the AT&N Railroad. Mr. Joseph Ed Dial donated the land for the right-of-way, provided the town would be named in honor of his two daughters, Emma and Ella.
Epes, Alabama: Epes was incorporated in 1899 and named for Dr. John W. Epes, who donated the right-of-way for Southern Railroad (if the town would be named Epes).
Geiger, Alabama: The town of Geiger was incorporated in 1912. W.L. Waller and John H. Pinson, who married sisters of the Geiger family, planned and created Geiger around the A. T. and N. Railroad, which came through the area in 1909.
York, Alabama: Legend has it that York began at a blacksmith shop called Old Anvil located at a crossroads a few miles northwest of the present city. Circa 1833, early settlers of a site located east of modern-day York located on the old Livingston-Gaston stagecoach road named their community New York Station. The railroads expanded and took business from the stagecoach line. The two communities merged in 1838 and gradually grew toward the railroad.