1.) Cuba History:
The Cuba post office existed prior to 1850, with nothing in the present-day area of the town of Cuba, but wilderness. The first man to live in this site was a Mr. R.A. Clay, who moved from Autauga County, AL, with his family and about 100 slaves in 1852, and purchased all the land which later made up the town of Cuba. By 1861, the town was a thriving farming industry and had a sizeable truck-crop enterprise. Also during this time, the Southern Railroad was being built. Clay donated land for the railroad right-of-way, built mainly with slave labor. As the town was settled, the post office became known as Cuba Station. The Town of Cuba was incorporated in 1890 with Dr. A.L. Vaughan as its first Mayor.
In 1870, Mr. Clay sold to Mr. Warner Lewis half of the town and divided it into lots, with two set aside for the building of the Baptist and Methodist churches. Cuba Baptist Church was organized in 1879 and the original building still stands on the spot where it was first built. The Methodist Church was organized about 1884. This church membership dissolved many years ago. The Holiness Church was organized about 1886, the Presbyterian Church about 1906, and the Independent Holiness Church about 1925.
Mrs. Curtis Vaughan was the first person to be buried in Cuba, in 1888. Mr. R.A. Clay, the morning after her death, donated the land for the Cuba Cemetery, which later became Clay Memorial Cemetery in his honor.
Cuba is located just a mile or two from the MS/AL state line on Hwy 11, or by taking Alabama Exit 1 on Interstate 20/59 and taking a right at the 4-way stop.
2.) Cuba Historical Sites
“Pitts-Beavers-Munoz House” was built ca. 1845 and is located on Old Livingston Road off of Highway 11. It is Greek Revival style with Victorian features.
The Museum displays Cuba from its beginning.
“Daniels-Regions House” was built in ca. 1901 and is located on Highway 11 and Shaw Road. It is a Vernacular turn-of-the-century style with turned and bracketed supports on the porch.
“Vaughan House” was built ca. 1900 and is located on Third Street. It is one and one-half story Vernacular turn-of-the-century style and is occupied by third generation owners.
McGowen House was built ca. 1900 and is located on McGowen Lane. It is Vernacular style with Victorian features and is occupied by third generation owners.
Little School House was built ca. 1890 and was Clapboard primitive. It was located on Highway 11 but burned in 1995.
“Ward House” was built ca. 1890 and is located on Railroad Avenue. It is Vernacular style and is occupied by third generation owners.
“Ward-Ganguet House” was built ca. 1860 and it located on Fourth Avenue. It is Greek Revival style.
“May-Davidson House” was built ca. 1900 and is located on the corner of Second Street and Fourth Avenue. It is Vernacular turn-of-the-century cottage.
“Stallworth-Shaw House” was built ca. 1900 and is located on Second Street. It is Vernacular turn-of-the-century style and has a wrap-around porch with a turret.
Baptist Church was built ca. 1877 and is also located on Second Street. It was built of hand-hewn timbers 12 to 15 inches wide.
“Giles-Richie House” was built ca. 1880 and is located on Third Avenue. It was used as the servants’ cottage.
“Hardy-Tate House” was built ca. 1870 and is located on Third Avenue. It is Country Vernacular with Greek Revival influences.
“McDaniels-Beavers House” was built ca. 1890 and is located on Third Avenue. It is one and one-half story Victorian style with an extended porch and gingerbread trim.
Church of God was organized in 1888 and the building was built in 1900. It is Carpenter Gothic style which was used by rural churches in the 19th Century. It is located on the corner of Fourth Street and Railroad Avenue.
“Shaw House” was built ca. 1900 and is located on Railroad Avenue. It is Victorian style with a wrap-around porch and decorative gingerbread trim.
Presbyterian Church was built ca. 1906 and is located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Fourth Street.
“Brock House” was built ca. 1901 and is located on the corner of Lauderdale Road and Eighth Avenue. It is Vernacular turn-of-the-century style with a wrap-around porch and is occupied by third generation owners.