Visit the city website here: www.cityofepesalabama.com
1.) Epes History:
Epes was incorporated in 1899 and named for Dr. John W. Epes, who donated the right-of-way for Southern Railroad (if the town would be named Epes). The town is located on the high bluffs of the Tombigbee River. Standing on the bluffs, you could hear the ferries and steamboats traveling down river. During its prime, it was known as the transportation and business and service center. It had three cotton gins, a cotton compress, cotton seed oil mill, creamery, handle company, The Casey Hotel, The Bowers Boarding House, a school, two grocery stores, a drug store, general merchandising stores, and two livery stables. The second stockyard in Alabama opened in Epes in 1936.
2.) Epes Historical Sites:
“Kennedy-Turner-Malone House” was built ca. 1900 and is located Highway 11. It is Victorian style.
“Hylton-Abrams-May House” was built ca. 1900 and is located on Cedar Hill Drive. It is also Victorian style.
Goggans Department Store was built ca. 1890 as a dry goods store. It later became a general mercantile store typical of rural Alabama. It is located on Main Street.
“Scarbrough-Motes-Goggans House” was built ca. 1890 and is located on Main Street. It is Victorian style with ornate trim.
Fort Tombecbe was erected by the French in 1736-37. In 1763, the French surrendered the Fort to the British, who renamed it Fort York. The British abandoned the Fort in 1767. Then, in 1794, the Spanish built Fort Confederation on the site of the old French Fort. The Spanish withdrew in 1797. The Choctaw Trading house was moved from St. Stephens in 1816 to a site near old French Fort on Factory Creek; the Trading Post was closed in 1822. It is located on Styes Street off of Main Street.