1.) Geiger History
The town of Geiger was incorporated in 1912. W.L. Waller and John H. Pinson, who married sisters of the Geiger family, planned and created Geiger around the A. T. and N. Railroad, which came through the area in 1909. Skillful and colorful promotions went into the development of the town. One of the biggest promotions was the drawing for free lots and farms. The town grew very fast. A block of brick stores was built, and, soon after, the town had a post office, church, bank, hotel, livery stable, bottling works, brick kiln, barber shop, newspaper (The Geiger Times), cotton gin, sawmill, three doctors, and a drug store. Geiger flourished until the boll weevil made its way through destroying the cotton fields and devastating farm life. Because Geiger’s economy was agriculture and cotton, the farms and people began moving away.
There are now several cattle, grass, and soybean farms in Geiger. The town is located on Hwy 17 in Sumter County, north of Emelle.
2.) Geiger Historical Sites
Yellow Front Store No. 1 was built in 1911, and developed into a West Alabama chain.
“Waller-Gilbert House” was built in 1909 and is located north of County Highway 32. It is two-story Vernacular turn-of-the-century style.
Geiger High School was built in 1910 and was the first public school in Alabama to provide free transportation. It is located on County Highway 32.